Department of Biotechnology
Jawahar Lal Nehru Centre For Biotechnology
Review of X Plan Implementation and Assessment
Of Requirement of XI Plan
1. Name of the University : Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University
2. Name of The Department : Jawahar Lal Nehru Centre For Biotechnology
(Earlier Department of Biotechnology)
3. Year of Establishment : 2000
5. Number of Students who applied and got admission in various courses in last three year :
6. When was the syllabus last revised by the deptt. : In the year 2006
7. Non-Teaching Staff:
|Designation||Pay Scale||Qualification||Nature of Duty|
|Mr. Anil Kumar Pandey||Office Clerk||3050-75-3950-80-4590||M.A. , B.Ed.||Office Assistant|
|Mr. Harishchandra Yadav||Lab-Bearer||2550-55-2660-60-3200||10th Class||Clearing & Maintenance of Lab|
|Mr. Rajesh Gaur||Attendant||2550-55-2660-60-3200||B.A.||Office Work (Mail assistant :|
|Mr. Wazir Ahmad||Sweeper||2550-55-2660-60-3200||8th Class||Sweeper|
- Teaching Staff:
|Name||Designation||Qualification||Teaching Load in Clock hrs per week||No. of research students working for Ph.D.||No. of Research papers published in journals during X plan||Number of Courses attended during X Plan||Conferences, Workshop, Symposia attended during X Plan|
|Dr. Dinesh Raj Modi||Reader||Ph.D.||On leave||06||03||-||01|
|Dr. Dinesh Yadav||Lecturer||Ph.D.||On leave||04||01||-|
|Dr. Sarad Kumar Mishra||Lecturer||Ph.D.||18||04||02||03||01||04|
|Dr. Jagtar Singh||Lecturer||Ph.D||On leave||--||02||-|
9. Building :
Total Area of the Department in Sq. Ft. : Ground Floor = 11,000 Sq. Ft.
1st Floor = 10,000 Sq. ft.
Total Laboratory area of the Department in Sq. Ft. : 600 Sq. ft. (Approx.)
10. Books and Journals :
No. of Books on the subject in
|National Journal Subscribed||International Journals Subscribed|
|Central Library||Departmental Library|
11. Equipments :
|Name of the equipments in the Deptt. Worth Rs. One lakh and above along with the cost
Name of the equipment purchased in the X Plan worth Rs. One Lakh and above.
Percent utilization of equipments
Whether the equipments is also used by other Deptts./ colleges / other outside agencies . Give details
Yes, Sister Departments in the University
12. Whether all teacher are provided room. cubical and necessary furniture
Type of accommodation
|No. of Teacher provided such accommodation|
|Independent cubical/ room
Room on twin sharing basis
Room on sharing basis
|All faculty members
13. Whether the department is identified by UGC as (DRS/DSA/CAS) , if yes since when & Level. NO
- Whether the department organized any national international seminar / symposia/workshop etc. during X plan (If yes, give details ) : 03 National
- “PCR Diagnosis of Tuberculosis” on 6th April, 2003
- “Challenges and opportunities in Biotechnology in Uttar Pradesh” in 2004.
- “Sustainable Management of Medicinal Plants” from 29-30 July , 2006.
- Organic farming a new strategy of Agriculture 6-7 May-2004
- Current issues in Zoology & Environmental Science from 11-13th Nov. 2006.
- Whether the department organized any training programme of industry/community etc. during X Plan. (If yes give detatil : NO
- Whether the department has undertaken any consultancy work during X plan (if yes, give details) : NO
- Whether any research project has been undertaken in the last five years (if yeas , give details) NO
|Name of the Teacher||Title of the Project||Duration||Funding Agency||Amount|
(The department was established in the academic year 2000-2001, and the building of the department was made available for occupation only in March 2002).
- Whether the Department received any grants from various schemes of the UGC (if yes, give details ) : NO
- Whether any financial assistance was received from sources other than UGC (if yes, give details) Yes.
02 Lakhs from Amrita Kaur charitable Trust
- What are the essential facilities the department needs during XI plan (please give justification )
Infrastructure (Building )
Extension of present building for provisions of different rooms namely.
- Biotechnology Application Centre
- Animal House
- Glass House
- Biotechnology Application Centre :
In order to cater services of biotechnology to the common public and to train manpower in critical and applied areas of biotechnology a Biotechnology Application Centre is proposed which will undertake the programmes of diagnostic of infectious diseases, Environmental Biotechnology, Food Biotechnology.
- Animal House :
To support research in areas of Animal Cell Culture, Virology, Animal Biotechnology and Immunology.
- Glass House :
To Provide controlled environment for adaptation of tissue culture/ transgenic plants.
The discipline of Biotechnology is technique intensive course and therefore the teaching/ training is heavily dependent on sophisticated equipments. The thrust of research of the faculty members is planned to be in the areas of Plant Molecular Biology & Biotechnology, Industrial, Environment & Agricultural, Immunology , Virology, Animal Cell Culture and Bioprocess Engineering for which following equipments are required as given in Table 1. The requirement of the proposed equipments is essential for effective and efficient practical teaching of M.Sc. Biotechnology programme and research as the department is in the initial phase of establishment.
TaBle 1 : Justification for equipment grant proposal (119.5 Lakhs) under UGC XIth Plan.
|Equipment||Approx Cost (Lakhs)||Justification|
|1||Liquefied Petroleum GAS (LPG) lab connection||3.0||Routine lab works as this will save recurring expenses.|
|2.||Audio-Visual Aids||2.0||Efficient teaching, research and extension activities|
|3.||Fluorescent Microscope with photographic accessories||10.0||Identification /detection of microbial strain, protoplast culture by labeling them with fluorescent Abs using immuno-fluorescent procedure|
|4.||High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)||12.0||Purification of proteins, enzymes, harmones etc.|
|5.||Fermenator (Bench-top)||10.0||Large-scale production of microbial culture of industrially importance under controlled conditions and study of their products.|
|6.||Lyophilizer||5.0||Sample preparation, long term storage of microbial/plant/animal samples.|
|7.||Sonicator||2.0||Isolation, purification and characterization of cytoplasmic constituents for invitro studies.|
|8.||Ultracentrifuge (Table-top)||15.0||Molecular level studies i.e. isolation and purifucation of cellular organelles/ nucleic acid etc.|
|9.||Spectrophotometer||10.0||Quantitative estimation and characterization of various biomolecules|
|10.||Gas Liquid Chromatography (GLC)||5.0||Analysis of various metabolites, biological samples, assays etc.|
|11.||-80oC deep freezer||5.0||Long term storage of biological samples/biochemical enzymes /cells /strains etc.|
|12.||Liquid Scintillation Counter||10.0||Radiolabelled/radiotracer studies in biological samples under investigation.|
|13.||Ultra filtration Unit||3.0||Concentration of Various biomolecules like proteins, enzymes etc.|
|14.||CO‑2 Incubator||5.0||Providing anaerobic optimum conditions for animal cell lines/ cultures etc.|
|15.||Liquid nitrogen plant||6.0||Preservations of biological samples and also in isolation of genomic DNA from plants|
|16.||Slide Projector with PC (LCD)||1.0||Efficient presentation , documentation and extension for purpose of teaching.|
|17.||Incubator Shaker||5.5||Mass-Culturing of Microbial strains under controlled conditions.|
|18.||Millipore Filtration Unit (Milli)Q)||5.0||Large-scale production of filtered deionized ultrapure water for molecular biology experiments.|
|19.||Eppendorf-Biophotometer||5.0||Rapid and reliable analysis of double stranded /single stranded DNA/RNA, proteins and bacterial cell density measurements.|
- Whether the university is using new teaching method like, instructional television, instructional Radio, computer aided instruction, programmed teaching team teaching etc. (give details) : NO
- Any special contribution of the department : Yes
The Centre has signed a MOU with DNA Technologies , USA in the process of establishment a center named “Molecular Diagnostic Lab” . Has organized various national & Internationals Seminars .